Learn more about the e-Form M, the online mandatory documentation process required for importing into Nigeria, and how you can obtain one for your shipment.
What is an e-Form M?
An e-Form M is an online mandatory documentation process introduced by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) and the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS).
Put in place by the Federal Government of Nigeria through the Federal Ministry of Finance (FMF) it aims to monitor goods that are imported into Nigeria, as well as enable the collection of import duties where applicable.
In a nut shell, the guidelines say that all importers into Nigeria need to process the e-Form M through an Authorized Dealer Bank, irrespective of the value of their goods and whether or not payment is involved.
Where can importers obtain the e-Form M?
The e-Form M can be obtained on the Federal Government of Nigeria Single Window for Trade portal or through the assistance of the importer’s Authorized Dealer Bank.
However, the e-Form M can only be accessed when the importer has fulfilled the following requirements:
- Registration of a Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) at the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) offices
- TIN validation by the importer at the FIRS offices
- Logging into the FIRS portal to register as importer
- The Bank/customer has logged into https://app.trade.gov.ng/formx to initiate the e-Form M
- Forwarding all required documents (Proforma Invoice, Insurance, Certificates for items regulated by either SON or NAFDAC etc.) to the Authorized Bank for approval.
What is the validity of an e-Form M?
The initial validity of an approved e-Form M is 180 days, but it can be extended for another 180 days by the Authorized Dealer Bank.
What are the requirements for opening an e-Form M?
To open an e-Form M the importer requires the following:
- Certificate of Incorporation/Registration of the company in Nigeria
- Registration with Federal Inland Revenue Services (FIRS)
- Proforma Invoice
- A Product Certificate (PC) for items regulated by SON
How do you obtain a Product Certificate?
To obtain a PC, you can contact your local Cotecna team, that will happily assist in you in the entire Product Certificate process.
Cotecna can also assist you in obtaining the SONCAP Certificate (SC), to process Pre-Arrival Assessment Report (PAAR) for clearance of goods from Nigeria port.
Should you need any further information on the e-Form M or on how to obtain the Product and SONCAP Certificates, please contact us.