On the week of International Customs Day, we would like to express our pride and commitment to working alongside customs to continue to secure trade and promote a more secure environment for economic operators and customs professionals.
In the face of the new challenges posed by the pandemic, we salute customs' work during this period in rapidly adapting their approach to trade control and in demonstrating flexibility.
Cotecna responded from the beginning of the pandemic to the requirements and recommendations of global organizations and the countries we operate by putting in place all the necessary preventive measures to maintain our operations and ensure an efficient service.
Example of a scanner site in Burundi including reinforced security rules
Despite the fall in world trade during this period, our teams continued their support to Customs by maintaining the operation of scanners and the electronic tracking of goods in transit to further secure trade and collect customs revenue.
To this end, we have adapted our operations to maintain a high level of safety by implementing measures to inform, prevent and secure all persons on our sites, including:
- The display of security rules adapted to the context
- The supply of hydro-alcoholic gels
- The organization of awareness-raising meetings with our employees and partners
- Social distancing and reduction of contact with the implementation of a home office when possible
- Use of personal protective equipment (PPE) at work: masks, gloves
- The implementation of special measures for visitors (temperature taking, disinfection, and physical distance)
Taking the temperature of a Cotecna employee in El Salvador
It is now more important than ever to speed up and reinforce the modernization of customs thanks to digital tools that support a paperless environment.
Building on our 45 years of experience working alongside Customs Authorities throughout the world, Cotecna offers several Customs solutions aligned with WCO's recommendations and contributing at a full dematerialization of customs procedures.