Cotecna is a leading provider of testing, inspection and certification services. Founded in Switzerland in 1974, Cotecna started off as a family business and has now grown to become a world-class international player with 4000 employees in close to 100 offices in over 50 countries.
The mission of a Technical Expert is to actively contribute to Cotecna’s verification of conformity and product certification services and to continually maintain up-to-date technical knowledge for a defined range of products/product groups.
The Technical Expert will be responsible for assessing evaluation activity, determining, reviewing and confirming conformity to standards (e.g., international, national) and providing other technical support for a defined range of products / product groups. These tasks will be performed on behalf of any Cotecna office providing verification of conformity and/or product certification services.
- Provides quality and technically based opinion on product standards, classification and certification.
- Responds in a timely and effective manner to the network in relation to inquiries concerning product requirements, standards and classification, including nomination/service request inquiries.
- Provides applicable classification, product standards and requirements in line with the documents based on business rules, using in-house and other related references.
- Assess product and/or trade parties risk levels, identification of product essential requirements and applicable standards following the Business Rules on conformity assessment, classification, import eligibility and process flows, technical Sheets, and other related references.
- Provides quality and technical based opinion on product standards, classification and certification.
- Assists in the resolution of standards, classification and certification cases and other requests and/or inquiries with technical expertise on specific goods or commodities.
- Ensures the timely issuance of accurate Certificates of Conformity (CoC).
- Conducts comprehensive investigation and evaluation of files according to applicable regulations, standards and classifications.
- Formulates technical sheets and/or other conformity Instructions based on technical directives, product safety and performance standards.
- Responsible to attend other operational concerns regarding certificate issuance which needs a technical and experienced opinion.
- To audit the file administration, quality of the information, completeness of the documents and ensure that it is accurately available on the system.
- Requires sending inquiries to the affiliates or Contract Management Offices (CMO) for additional information.
- Escalates cases of non-response status or high-risk disputes to Team Lead or Management.
- To prepare a technical position paper in defending standard selection and/or classification cases based on the findings (Internal or External)
- To actively attend and participate in the team and company meetings.
- Interact and coordinate with other members involved in the attainment of the team’s objective.
- To perform duties assigned by the Management.
- Assist in the maintenance of the company’s Quality Management System and COTECNA’s compliance with IFIA-CBCA Code of practice and relevant standards (i.e., ISO 17065, ISO 17020)..
Qualifications, Experience and Technical Skills
- BSc in Metallurgical/Civil/Material Engineering or equivalent professional qualification
- With knowledge and expertise on Chemical/Domestic Products (Product research and specification, product design, manufacturing, testing).
- Knowledge in Quality management system, e.g.: ISO 9001, ISO 14001, ISO 22000, HACCP, BRC or similar systems would be a plus.
- Fluent communication skills.
- Decisive, assertive and result-oriented.
- Applies judgment and acts according to the COTECNA principles, standards business ethics and compliance.
- Conformity assessment (accreditation systems, product certification, product testing, inspection protocols and industrial metrology)
- Understanding of Industrial standardization concepts including international standards development and implementation, i.e. ISO, IEC, EN, ANSI, ASTM etc.